Catalyst Summer Program at Cornell University
Cornell University’s CATALYST Academy program is a one-week math, science, and engineering summer residential program for rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors from underrepresented backgrounds, especially African American, Latino/a, or Native American.
Participants will be exposed to hands-on projects in engineering research fields and lab sessions led by world renowned engineering faculty. Academic and leadership skill development, panel discussions, social events, and other out-of-classroom activities will provide participants with opportunities to informally network with Cornell faculty, staff, and students.
The SHPE Foundation and Cornell University have partnered to provide deserving Hispanic high school students the opportunity to spend a week at Cornell University during the summer at no cost to the students.
The SHPE Foundation will provide the competitive airline travel voucher to attend the summer program; Cornell University has tuition waivers available.
To be considered for the travel voucher, a copy of the CATALYST application must be sent to the SHPE Foundation at:
THE SHPE Foundation
c/o: Cornell Summer Program
13181 Crossroads Parkway N Suite 450
City of Industry CA 91746
July 13 - 20, 2014
Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year in high school.
Apply online via http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/catalyst
Applications should be accompanied by:
- A written essay of no more than 500 words, explaining:
- why you want to participate in this program
- what you hope to gain from the experience
- what interests you about engineering
- what thoughts you have about your future career
- A written recommendation from a math or science teacher or high school counselor (available from the CATALYST website)
- An official transcript
- High School Profile, available from your high school guidance office
- Online application: 11:59pm, Friday, March 1, 2014.
- Postmark Deadline for Supporting Documents: Friday, March 1, 2014.
- Admission Status Notification: mid-April, 2014.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For questions about CATALYST, contact Jami Joyner (607)254-5202. For information about the tuition waiver and travel voucher, contact Nancy Banuelos at (323)-725-3970 ext 118.