About SHPE Jr. Chapter Programs
About SHPE Jr. Chapters
The SHPE Foundation created the SHPE Jr. Chapter Program to support K-12 students in overcoming persistent educational barriers and to encourage those students to pursue STEM studies and careers. SHPE Jr. Chapters are established by local SHPE Student and Professional Chapters in partnership with school administrators at accredited K-12 schools within the United States and Puerto Rico. SHPE Jr. Chapters provide youth with opportunities to participate in hands-on STEM activities. Members can attend the Pre-College Symposium held at SHPE’s National Conference, participate in academic and engineering summer camps, compete in National Science Bowls, participate in local science fairs and many other opportunities. SHPE Jr. Chapter members also receive mentoring and develop leadership skills through the active involvement of SHPE Chapter members.
Upon graduating from high school, SHPE Jr. Chapter members are encouraged to continue their involvement in SHPE by joining SHPE Student Chapters in college and then SHPE Professional Chapters as working professionals. This SHPE membership pathway provides a supportive, lasting network of Hispanic STEM peers throughout their academic and career journey.
The main goals of the SHPE Jr. Chapter Programs are to:
- Increase the number of Hispanic students who graduate high school and pursue STEM degrees programs through college preparedness workshop and activities
- Increase confidence and leadership skills
- Convey a positive attitude towards academic excellence
- Encourage and support parental commitment to education
- Increase access to college for Hispanic students
- Increase cultural awareness of Hispanic contributions to STEM